Tuesday, May 11, 2010

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs

Even though I'm a big fan of Japanese cinema I hadn't seen a film by Mikio Naruse before I watched When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960). His name is often mentioned alongside the Big Three (Kurosawa, Mizoguchi & Ozu) and the Japanese New Wave directors (Oshima, Imamura etc) as the most important (and best) Japanese directors of all time. At least judging by this film I wholeheartedly agree.

Essentially When a Woman Ascends the Stairs is about a Japanese bar hostess (set in post-WW2 Japan) at a significant point in her life: because she's already 30, she has to either open her own bar or get married. The screenplay offers a thorough depiction of the age, a stunning character study AND in a subtle way it also explores the weak position of women in the Japanese society. Naruse doesn't point fingers as obviously as Mizoguchi - and even manages to find some delight for the main character within her restricted choices. Even though the main character is fascinating and complex enough on her own the huge cast of side characters is also given a lot of attention - and they are not disappointing characters either. The screenplay's epic scope leaves me rather speechless.

The form is not subtle in the minimalistic Ozu way. Instead Naruse employs effective yet nearly unnoticable editing patterns that keep the focus on the essential. Mostly medium distance shots are used to keep a pleasant sense of intimacy, but when an "empty" (= a lot of empty space in the shot) long distance shot is used, it is used to great effect that is almost cathartic. The compositions are also rather interesting. When a Woman Ascends the Stairs is certainly a film I'd like to study closer at some point - even if only for its visual aspects. The restrained jazz music of the soundtrack is also used in an excellent way.

Japanese cinema delivers yet another big surprise for me. Even though I was aware of Naruse's reputation among film buffs I didn't realize I would experience something as vivid as this film. It has certainly found a place among my favorite films of all time.

Score: 10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment