Friday, February 26, 2010

Mouchette

Robert Bresson's Mouchette (1967) is a heartbreaking story of a teenaged girl named Mouchette. Her mother is dying, her father does not care about her, she has no friends at school and she ends up being mentally and physically abused by others. Bresson somehow manages to find beauty in this tragic story - and creates one of the most subtly poignant films to date.

Bresson's form in Mouchette is similar to Balthazar. There is simply nothing to add to what I said about it in the earlier review. The minimalism works SO well.

Rewatching Mouchette and Balthazar made me sure of one thing: I need to see more of Bresson's films because he might be on his way to become one of my favorite film makers of all time. His minimalism is so refined in these two films that I'm left quite speechless.

Score: 10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment